* Updated for Heavensward – 2/1/16 *
For those who don’t know, FATE farming is the fastest way to gain experience in FFXIV if you’re a DPS (Dungeons are more optimal experience for Tank/Healer jobs due to fast queues). FATEs are dynamic events that spawn throughout the various regions of Eorzea. Based on your participation in the FATE, you earn experience and additional rewards, such as Grand Company seals. By quickly moving from one FATE to another for an extended period of time with a large group, you can level up very quickly.
Regions for FATEs
Please consider the follow list as a reference for which zone you should be farming FATEs in, depending on your level. While I won’t go into great detail about priority of FATEs, please note there are specific FATEs in each zone that yield much higher experience than others and these should be prioritized.
- 1-12: Horizon in Western Thanalan (Thanalan)
- 13-20: Aleport in Western La Noscea (La Noscea)
- 21-30: Quarrymill in South Shroud (Black Shroud)
- 28-34: Wineport / Costa Del Sol in Eastern La Noscea (La Noscea)
- 30-38: Dragonhead in Coerthas Central Highlands (Coerthas)
- 38-42: Revenant’s Toll in Mor Dhona
- 42-52: Ceruleum Processing Plant in Northern Thanalan (Thanalan)
- 52+: The Churning Mists (Dravania)
Rule of thumb: If more than 50% of the FATEs spawning in your zone require you to sync your level down, you should move on to a higher level zone.
Tips for FATE farming
- Completing FATEs yields Grand Company seals. This currency is used at the Grand Company vendors for various gear, consumables and glamour items.
- Spamming AoE is generally your best bet when participating.
- Once you have enough participation for Gold, you can move on to the next FATE spawn (turn-in FATEs: gold requires 6 turn-ins).
- Assuming you have a level 60 job already, while farming FATEs, you can farm your Anima crystals for the first part of your Anima weapon quest chain.
Heavensward Anima FATEs
As stated above, Heavensward introduced the Anima weapon quest chain. This chain requires a level 60 job and starts off with a quest to acquire 3x Luminous Crystals from each of the Heavensward zones. Once you finish leveling your first job, it’s highly recommended you level via FATEs to optimize your time in game, as you can level another job while farming crystals for Anima weapons. Please note, you can farm as many crystals as you want while you have the quest – so make good use of the Party Finder to farm multiple jobs’ crystals during the FATE experience grind.
- 46-52: Coerthas Western Highlands
- 50-54: Dravanian Forelands
- 53-57: Churning Mists
- 55-58: Sea of Clouds
- 57-60: Dravanian Hinterlands
- 57-60: Azys Lla