SWTOR: Soa, The Infernal One Guide
Recommended Group Composition
- 1x Tank
- 3x Healers
- 4x DPS
- 3x phases, as well as a transition phase that occurs twice.
- Phase 1: lightning hits an ancient power source and creates a green pool of damage.
- Transition phase (75% and 30%): ancient power sources become vulnerable – these stack a buff on the boss and should be destroyed.
- Phase 2: a random player will be mind trapped and forced to fight an add until the other players break them out of the trap.
- Phase 2: lightning balls will spawn on the perimeter, each targeting a player – these hit nearby players every second and blow up when they reach their target.
- Phase 3: lightning balls and mind traps will continue to occur.
- Phase 3: the boss’s shield will not drop until he is struck by a spinning pylon.
- Phase 1
- Position yourself between ancient power sources, as to minimize the distance you must run if lightning hits one.
- If lightning hits an ancient power source near you, run away from it immediately.
- Transition Phase @ 75%
- Run to the western edge of the room, as the two middle circular platforms are going to collapse.
- Path is as follows: Front > Right > Wait for Back-Left > Right > Right > Right > Wait for Right > Right > Front-Right > Back > Forward.
- Group up for AOE heals to top everyone off, while waiting for next platform.
- Descend to the next are by running off the ledge as a group, landing on each nearest platform to the right – your raid leader should call this out.
- On each platform, there will be an ancient power source that should be destroyed. Destroy 5 of these to remove the buff stacks from the boss, then ignore the rest and finish descending to the bottom.
- While descending, you will have to stop and wait on two occasions for the next platform to fall. Everyone should stay grouped up during this waiting time for AOE heals. Once everyone is topped off, continue the descent.
- When you reach the bottom, group up for AOE heals again and get everyone topped off before phase 2 begins.
- Phase 2
- Everyone should stack at the bottom of the middle circle in the center of the room, the tank positioned just a bit ahead, but still in AOE healing range.
- The boss will randomly target a player and put them in a mind trap. Ranged DPS should kill this immediately.
- A random player will also be thrown around the room. Heals should keep people above 50% HP, so if they are thrown, they will not die.
- Also during this phase, lightning balls will spawn. There will be a raid warning that says who the balls are targeting. These people should immediately run to each side of the room, top announced person – left, bottom announced person – right, figure out which ball is targeting them, and blow it up immediately. Once exploded, stack back on the group for AOE heals. Use a medpac if you drop low in health after exploding a lightning ball.
- Transition Phase (same as before) @ 30%
- Phase 3
- In the final phase, the mind trap and white orb mechanics still exist and should be continued to be handled as in phase 2.
- An added mechanic is that the boss is permanently immune until he is dragged under one of the upside-down, spinning pylons and struck by one. This is the main tank’s job. If the main tank is mind trapped, the off tank should pick up the boss and move him.
- Once the boss has been hit by a pylon, he will become vulnerable and all DPS should burn cooldowns and DPS as much as possible. Ranged should try to just kite the orbs if possible, otherwise blow them up immediately and get back on the boss. Any lost DPS just brings you closer to the enrage timer. Melee should get out immediately and blow up their ball if targeted.
- You should leave mind traps during the vulnerable burn phase and focus on DPS’ing the boss; However, some groups may have to switch to mind traps if you find yourself falling behind.
Hard Mode Strategy
- The strategy does not change; however, the orbs do hit harder. So, make sure you are promptly handling them.
Nightmare Mode Strategy
- Again, use the same strategy. The lightning balls will be the deal breaker for you if they are not handled well. They tick for about 6k damage and explode for another 7k damage. When exploding them correctly, you will take about 13k damage, be prepared to take another 6k on top of that as a buffer for error.
16-man Added Mechanics
- There will be an extra lightning ball that spawns – for a total of 3. My advice? Have fun with that! In all seriousness, just make sure you are utilizing the target of target, stay focused, and you’ll be fine.
- When grouping up for AOE heals during the transition phase, help spot heal the group.
- Phase 1: avoid lightning pools.
- Transition phase: descend, kill 5 ancient power sources, group up for AOE heals twice during the descent.
- Phase 2: Stack, kill mind traps, explode lightning balls accordingly. Top – left, Bottom – right.
- Repeat transition phase.
- Phase 3: kill mind traps, explode lightning balls, burn cooldowns on boss when he’s vulnerable.
If you’re still having trouble with the encounter, be sure to check out my Tips for Soa Nightmare Mode article!