Having played FFXIV on and off since Alpha, there have been a few different “flavor of the month” ways to level in the game. As of Patch 3.45, many folks are using Palace of the Dead as a means of efficient, no-stress leveling that you can honestly just jump into.
Palace of the Dead (PotD) is basically an instanced dungeon in which a solo player or group of players descend through the floors of dungeon, 10 floors at a time. Your character has Aetherpool weapons and armor which, along with experience, is completely separate from your actual character. With two save slots, you can progress through PotD and level up your weapons, armor, and PotD class level.
Completing PotD through its max 200 floors is a challenge, so for this guide we will cover the basics on how to use PotD for leveling any DoM / DoW classes. The goal is to complete the set of 10 floors as quickly as possible, as completing each set yields a massive chunk of experience for your class outside of PotD. Below are some general tips, along with some more fine-tuned tips for speed running PotD. Best of luck – and don’t forget: Help others.
PotD General Tips
- Grind floors 1-10 until Aetherpool +10 / +10.
- After +10 / +10, grind floors 1-50 until +40 / +40 ish.
- After +40 / +40 ish, grind floors 51-60 until leveling is complete.
- Gold chests contain Pomanders. Silver chests contain upgrades. Bronze chests contain items.
- Check current Pomander buffs before using another.
- Kill Hornet and Slimes first, as each have 1-shot mechanics.
- Only open chests when out of combat (Luring) and at full health (Exploding).
- Group should try to follow same path to avoid traps.
- You can also hug walls to reduce risk of triggering traps.
- Use Pomander of Rage w/ Fortune on high density floors or last floors, as available (don’t use when No Knockback).
- Use Pomander of Lust on boss fight.
- Use Pomander of Witching for accidental large pulls.
- Use Cairn of Return to revive dead party members.
- Bring Echo Drops to cure silence (on self or others).
PotD Speed Run Tips
- Utilize Sprint uptime to increase pace.
- Limit mob kills to threshold of unlocking Passage.
- Don’t go out of your way for chests.
- Accursed Hoard > Gold chest > Mob kills for Passage > Silver chest.
* Special thanks to the Reddit /r/ffxiv Discord community for helping tweak some of the info – Cheers! *